Sunday, July 09, 2006

D & D vs Setting Heavy

One thing I've found with D & D vs. other books that are more setting heavy is the inability to read them for very. I can pick up pieces of information but straight up core books are otherwise dull. System stuff doesn't interest me terribly much as a free time read. I glance through to gauge power of affects, etc and anything that might be relavent to play but otherwise they go onto my shelf to be pulled out if and when I need to utilize the book for one of my characters. As a result my D & D collection expands some usually when I play because I hate having to rely on other people for books. I cannot plan ahead after the game what my *insert random character class here* will do next level or what fun prestige class I want to shoot for. For me that is half the fun of playing is planning to grow.

On the other hand I highly enjoy reading setting information for Exalted, Blue Planet, Forgotten Realms, and Jovian Chronicles because they have interesting settings. Ok, well mostly I read Jovian Chronicles for the mecha. These tell stories, stories I can think about playing a part of or running a game in. I may never do it but it exercises the imagination. I like that in my reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home